Spray Foam Calgary – Important Points to Know About Spray Foam Calgary

Spray foam Calgary continues to gain popularity in both residential and commercial properties. Homeowners are considering the option because of the many benefits it offers. The benefits of using spray foam ranges from savings in energy costs to improved indoor environment. All in all, prior to considering the option for your new property, there are a number of points you need to understand about it.

It’s a petroleum product
One point people forget about when it comes to the use of SPF is that it is a petroleum product. It is manufactured from petrochemicals. This means that they have a significant carbon footprint. It is for this reason that you have to hire competent spray foam contractors Calgary to help with the installations. You need to make sure that you install the insulation properly so that you don’t have to remove it or end up polluting the environment.

Soy based is not as green
There are several bio-based Calgary spray foams out there. A good example is the soy-based SPF. As much as this sounds green, it is not as green as you might think. Soy based foams only contain about 17% soy content. The remaining 83% is petroleum based. This simply means even when using the bio-based SPFs, you have to install them in a manner that doesn’t end up affecting the environment.

SPF can burn during installation
During the installation of polyurethane Calgary, two chemicals are combined. The process results in the production of heat. If you don’t keep an eye on the thickness, the amount of heat produced can result in ignition; something that might end up damaging your walls. During installation, you have to pay attention to the code requirements and ensure that you don’t breach the fire barrier. Even though the SPF might not burn, applying a layer that is too thick may result in a lot of heat which might end up causing the production of high volumes of toxic smoke.

Protective gear is essential during installation
The low density sprayed foam insulation can lead to the production of isocyanates as they cure. This is not a gas you should breathe in. You need to wear the right protective gear to keep yourself safe from the toxins.

There are two types of SPF
You have to choose between open cell and closed cell Calgary spray foam. Your choice will depend on what you want to achieve. Open cell foam has a lower density an creates voids and large air bubbles as it cures. It is hence ideal for soundproofing. Closed cell foam is denser and more rigid and ideal for insulation. Your spray foam contractors Calgary will advise you on the type of foam to use in your project.

There is a lot more that you need to learn about spray foam Calgary. It is imperative that you get as much information about the solution before you consider its installation. One point you should remember is that once it cures, it can be very difficult to remove spray foam.

Spray foam Calgary